Thank you for your interest in the School of Biological Sciences at Georgia Tech. We look forward to providing you with more information about Georgia Tech and the programs available in our School.
Our Ph.D. program applications are due in December each year. We evaluate applications in December, January and February, make offers in March, and expect responses from candidates who have been made offers by mid-April. Offers for spring and summer admission are not usually made. Please contact us first if your application timing differs from the time window above.
Areas of concentration:
- Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior (BIO) including population and evolutionary ecology; community ecology; aquatic chemical ecology; ecological genomics; sensory ecology; evolution of development, behavior, and sociality; biological oceanography; environmental microbiology; theoretical ecology.
- Molecular and Cell Biology (BIO) including eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell biology; molecular physiology; molecular biophysics and structural biology; animal, plant, and microbial molecular genetics; human genomics; molecular evolution.
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BINF) (with available M.S. and interdepartmental PhD programs in Bioinformatics) focusing on DNA and protein sequence analysis; comparative genomic analysis; macromolecular structure modeling including protein-protein, protein-nucleic acid, and protein-small molecule interactions; molecular evolution.
- Quantitative Biosciences (QBioS) - An interdisciplinary Ph.D. program enabling the discoverery of scientific principles underlying the dynamics, structure, function of living systems at scales from molecules to cells to organisms to populations.
Apply to the School of Biological Sciences
1. Get informed...
- We have listed all the information you need to make a decision about our programs on this webpage. If you have additional questions, please email Chung Kim at email@example.com.
- Complete the full online application. Make sure you have read all the information listed on this page.
- Your recommenders will be emailed upon your final submission of the application.
- Recommendation letters can arrive after the deadline, however, the admissions committee cannot make a decision without recommendation letters.
- Unofficial GRE scores are okay to list in the application, but we need to receive official scores by January 1st.
Status of your documents / application
The Graduate Admissions office sets all the requirements for the necessary documents, please check here: Graduate Admissions office
The School of Biological Sciences will contact you directly if we need any other documents from you.
Ph.D. Student Positions
If one of our professors is looking for a Ph.D. student with a specific set of skills, it will be advertised below. You are encouraged to respond directly to the professor although you should note that you will still need to submit a full application that will be evaluated by the Graduate Committee.
- Chung Kim
Academic Program Coordinator
Email | 404.385.4240 | EBB 2009
Application and Deadlines
- Online Application
- Fall Admittance Only
- Ph.D. Quantitative Biosciences - Annual Deadline: December 1st
- Ph.D. Applied Physiology - Annual Deadline: December 15th
- Ph.D. Biology - Annual Deadline: December 15th
- Ph.D.Bioinformatics - Annual Deadline: December 15th
- M.S. Bioinformatics - Annual Deadline: March 1st
- General GRE Test Required
- Subject GRE Test Optional
- Click here for Institute Codes
Average Scores for Last Year's Class
- Undergraduate GPA: 3.6
- GRE (combined verbal & quantitative): 317
- GRE Analytical: 3.9
There is no minimum GRE score since applicants are evaluated by a combination of GPA, GRE, letters of reference, and previous experience including research and publications. Applicants with below-average GRE scores are encouraged to apply if they possess a high undergraduate GPA and extensive research experience and can demonstrate a strong fit with faculty research interests.
TOEFL Minimum Scores
- Paper-based: 600
- Computer-based: 250
- Internet-based: 100
- Click here for Institute Codes