Application and Deadlines
Average Scores for Last Year's Class
There is no minimum GRE score since applicants are evaluated by a combination of GPA, GRE, letters of reference, and previous experience including research and publications. Applicants with below-average GRE scores are encouraged to apply if they possess a high undergraduate GPA and extensive research experience and can demonstrate a strong fit with faculty research interests.
TOEFL Minimum Scores
Thank you for your interest in the School of Biological Sciences at Georgia Tech. We look forward to providing you with more information about Georgia Tech and the programs available in our School.
The deadline for fall 2017 admission to our graduate program is December 16, 2016 (All documents submitted by January 1st, 2017). We evaluate applications in December, January and February, make offers in March, and expect responses from candidates who have been made offers by mid-April. Offers for spring and summer admission are not usually made. Please contact us first if your application timing differs from the time window above.
Areas of concentration:
- Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior (BIO) including population and evolutionary ecology; community ecology; aquatic chemical ecology; ecological genomics; sensory ecology; evolution of development, behavior, and sociality; biological oceanography; environmental microbiology; theoretical ecology.
- Molecular and Cell Biology (BIO) including eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell biology; molecular physiology; molecular biophysics and structural biology; animal, plant, and microbial molecular genetics; human genomics; molecular evolution.
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BINF) (with available M.S. and interdepartmental PhD programs in Bioinformatics) focusing on DNA and protein sequence analysis; comparative genomic analysis; macromolecular structure modeling including protein-protein, protein-nucleic acid, and protein-small molecule interactions; molecular evolution.
- Quantitative Biosciences (QBioS) Integrates the physical,mathematical and biological sciences,enabling the discovery of scientific principles underlying the dynamics, structure, and function of living systems.
Apply to the School of Biological Sciences
1. Get informed...
- We have listed all the information you need to make a decision about our programs on this webpage. If you have additional questions, please email Kevin Roman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the full online application. Make sure you have read all the information listed on this page.
- If the deadline has passed, we will accept applications for the PhD and MS-BIO programs until January 1st. When we are on Winter Break, we are not be able to answer email or phone (December 26th - January 1st).
- Your recommenders will be emailed upon your final submission of the application.
- The letters do not have to be received by the deadline.
- Unofficial GRE scores are okay to list in the application, we'll need to have received official scores by January 1st.
Status of your documents / application
The Graduate Admissions office sets all the requirements for the necessary documents, please check here: Graduate Admissions office
The School of Biological Sciences will contact you directly if we need any other documents from you.
Ph.D. Student Positions
If one of our professors is looking for a Ph.D. student with a specific set of skills, it will be advertised below. You are encouraged to respond directly to the professor although you should note that you will still need to submit a full application that will be evaluated by the Graduate Committee.